Monday, October 12, 2015

Food-Bakes-Kids

Big K
Can't believe that it has been such a long time since I visit this blog. Looking through the posts feels really nostalgic. Well I am no longer 32 that's for sure, 33 years old already! Yikes... time really fly by when your days/weeks/months is occupied with waking up early, tending to the kids, work, cook dinner, playing with the kids and then some personal time to catch up on Youtube episodes, then sleep.  Although it sounds so mundane but to see these 2 lil ones grow up by day, is the happiest and most fulfilling thing in my life, there is never a dull moment with them. =)


Small K
That also means bringing quality food to them. I always make it a point to cook at least 3 home cooked meals per week, and also having home cooked meals by my mum every other day. This will help us save money while the kids still get the nutrients they need. One such meals I always turn to is Carbonara. We are hooked I tell you.. or should I say I am hooked. They are so easy and quick, from prepping, cooking, eating and cleaning up. It is my go to recipe ever since I found it on "Laura In the Kitchen" The key to this dish is using fresh ingredients, the fresher the better. I did tweak the original recipe a little to make it more creamy just what my hubby would like, but the original recipe taste just fine if you ask me.


Ingredients:

250g Pasta of your choice.( I always use penne or fusilli)
1 small yellow onion - Diced up
8 slices of bacon ( U can use less or more, you can use Pancetta if you are feeling "Atas") - Sliced up to about 1/2 inch
6 Brown/white Mushrooms (This is optional) - Sliced up
Mirin
Sea Salt
Black Pepper

Sauce:
4-5 Tablespoon of Heavy cooking cream
3 eggs (You can use 2 eggs plus 1 yolk)
Loads of Freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano  ( I use probably 1/2 cup)
A pinch of  Sea Salt
A pinch of Black Pepper

Mix all these in a measuring cup and set aside.

And that's it for the ingredients!

1) Caramelized the onion then add in the mushrooms, season with a pinch of salt and a dash of mirin and pepper. Set aside.
2) Boil water and add in 1/3 tsp of salt. When water comes to a boil, throw in the pasta and cook as per the instructions on the packet.
3) Sautéed the bacon till they are a little browned, not too crisp up!
4) Add in the onion and mushroom mixture and give is a good toss.
5) About the same time, the pasta should be ready, drain the water, and toss all the pasta into the bacon/onion/mushroom mixture. Give it a good mix.
6) Bring the pot off the stove and pour in the sauce and start stirring the mixture till all the pasta is coated with the luxurious sauce. The residual heat of pan and pasta will continue to cook the sauce but not hot enough to scramble the eggs which we do not want.
7) Serve immediately with more grated parmesan on top =)

This is so simple probably will take you at most 2 tries to actually perfect it to suit your taste buds.

Is this a come back blog? I don't know, but will not be the last. Till next time =)

No comments: