Thursday, October 15, 2015

Katsu Re-visit - Baked Version

Yet another food post guys :) The truth is I cook more than I bake these days. Yes! I am a superwoman like many working mums...we struggle everyday to bring back the money and still try to squeeze our brain juice n strength to cook delicious food for the family. I really appreciate cooking blogs and Facebook Cooking groups like SHC, to keep the ideas coming  ! I think everyone can agree with me that Japanese cusine is well love n sort after in Singapore. This explains why you can see Jap restaurents in every corner of a little country like ours. There is this one dish which I always prefer homecooked rather than ordering outside, as restaurant standard can be so easily achieved with this one. Katsu Curry Don.

As I scroll through my own blog, I do have 1 posting on this dish. But recently, upon stumbling on Just One Cookbook, I decide to try out this dish again. The most troublesome part of making this dish is to fry the Katsu. Tell my mother I serve fried food to her grandchildren, I will get it from her that's for sure! So, why not bake it instead? Less oil and easy to clean up (basically no clean up if you lay your tray nicely with aluminum foil).
So, stop with the yakking (for now) and on with the recipe =)

For the Katsu, I followed the recipe from Just One Cookbook
As for the curry, Just One Cookbook do have one which is more authentic, but mine is simply working mum friendly.. hehe..

Ingredients:
(for 2 adults and a Todd for 2 days)
- 2 Carrots (diced up)
- 2 Russet Potatoes (diced up)
- 1 Large Yellow Onion (diced up)
- Olive Oil
- Japanese Curry cubes (I choose the mild one with apple/honey- more kids friendly and usually I buy the small box, no wastage and no leftovers for you to keep in the fridge till you forget about it)
- Half an apple

Instructions:

1) Stir-fry onion in the pot, this is optional, but I add a dash of mirin as I feel it makes the onion really sweet and a wee bit of salt. Let the onion sweat it out
2) Add in both the carrots and potatoes and continue to sautéed for about a minute.
3) Pour in water till all the ingredients are covered with water. Cover and let the soup boil and simmer
4) Till the ingredients have relatively soften, pop in the curry cubes and grate in the apple. Stir till well incorporated.
5) Cover, continue to simmer at med to low heat.
6) By the time your Katsu and rice are ready, you can off the heat.

I do not know why, but this curry always taste better the next day... so usually the next day I will add long beans and diced up chicken into the curry. There you have another meal settled... good right?!
I hope all of you will like this recipe, I do =) (Just add those purple pickles to this and shredded red ginger and a poached egg, your instagram pic will look even better!)

Viola!

No comments: